Are you looking for the most delicious deserts to create a memorable memorial day for your children? We’ve got seven scrumptious sweets to bright any child’s day, and yours too!
1. No-Bake Cheesecake
Natalie over at SuperHealthyKids has a great recipe for No-Bake Cheesecake. It’s healthy, gluten-free, and contains no refined sugar! She even suggests making it with Greek yogurt, which will provide your kids with lots of extra protein. While Natalie suggests peanuts for the crust, you could always substitute graham crackers or ginger snaps for the crust.
2. Red, White and Blueberry Yogurt Popsicles
You can get striped popsicles anytime but with Memorial Day coming up, you just have to try these. Aside from waving a flag, this healthy Red White and Blueberry Yogurt Popsicles shows patriotism too. You’ll also say “What a great way to cool off on what’s sure to be a hot day!”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (vanilla flavored)
1. Puree the raspberries using a blender. Set aside.
2. Puree the blueberries using a blender. Set aside.
3. Put the yogurt and both berry purees in small measuring cups.
4. Pour water if there’s a need to thin them and make them pourable.
5. When layering your pops, pour the blueberry puree at the bottom first. Avoid spillage to have perfectly looking stripes.
6. Put the mould in the freezer for at least an hour or more.
7. Next, layer some yogurt into each mold for the next stripe.
8. You can now put the popsicle sticks whilst making sure to get the stick into the frozen layer.
9. Once filled and totally hardened from freezing, you can now slide out the popsicles.
10. It would be best to keep them in the mold and frozen until you’re ready to serve them.
3. Watermelon, Mozzarella and Blueberry Skewers
Who said that dessert had to be full of calories and sugar? This watermelon, mozzarella and blueberry skewers is a surefire win for your Memorial Day cookout.
- Watermelon (cubed)
- Fresh Mozzarella (cubed)
- Skewers or Toothpicks
- Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing
- Sea salt
1. Place a mozzarella cube on top of a watermelon cube and stack a blueberry on top of the mozzarella cube.
2. Put a skewer or a toothpick through the center.
3. You can then opt to drizzle a little amount of balsamic vinaigrette dressing as well as a pinch of sea salt over each skewer for additional flavor.
4. Patriotic Fruit Salad
Enjoy a healthy patriotic fruit salad made with raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, and apples. It will be perfect for any day or Memorial Day celebrations because the red, white, and blue fruits in this sweet treat have the colors of the flag. Fun!
- 2 cups Strawberries
- 2 cups Raspberries
- 2 cups Blackberries
- 2 cups Blueberries
- 2 cups Gala Apples (peeled And Chopped Into Bite Sizes)
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar (or Brandy)
1. Rinse and drain all the fruits.
2. Peel and chop the apple.
2. Mix the fruits together in a bowl.
3. Sprinkle with sugar and/or brandy.
4. Toss lightly.
5. Red, White and Blue Patriotic Peppermint Patties
These red, white and blue peppermint patties look amazing! Its colors add some patriotic flair and will surely be a huge hit with the kids on your Memorial Day picnic or cookout.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 4 cups powdered sugar divided
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon extract OR 1/2 to 1 tsp peppermint extract OR any other extract you want
- food coloring I used Wilton’s red and blue icing color in the gel format
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1. Mix the butter and corn syrup in a small bowl.
2. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and your choice of extract.
3. Beat until well combined.
4. Add a cup of powdered sugar.
5. Turn the bowl onto a cutting board and sprinkle some powdered sugar.
6. Knead the mixture until it’s completely smooth.
7. Divide the dough into three portions.
8. Color one portion red with the red food color/gel.
9. Tint another portion blue.
10. Leave the third portion white.
11. Shape into inch balls and roll in granulated sugar.
12. Flatten gently using a fork.
13. Let the patties stand at room temperature for a day.
14. Store in a container.
6. Red White and Blue Finger Jello
No picnic or cookout is complete without dessert, and this red, white, and blue finger jello is the perfect choice for any patriotic holiday. It’s super easy to make, which is so helpful when you’re having guests over.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- 2 3-ounce boxes of red jello gelatin
- 2 3-ounce boxes of blue jello gelatin
- 4 envelopes knox unflavored gelatin (divided)
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- boiling water and cold water
1. Mix the two boxes of red jello with one envelope of unflavored gelatin.
2. Add two cups of boiling water and stir to dissolve.
3. Let it cool to room temperature and pour the mixture into a glass pan (that has been sprayed with nonstick spray).
4. Put it inside the fridge for 15 minutes.
5. Prepare the white layer into a bowl. Start by mixing the sweetened condensed milk with one cup of boiling water in another bowl.
6. Add two envelopes of unflavored gelatin over a half cup of cold water.
7. Let it sit for a few minutes and add a half cup of boiling water to dissolve the gelatin.
8. Finally add it to the milk mixture and stir to combine.
9. Pour the milk mixture on top of the first layer of red jello.
10. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
11. Once the jello has set, use a sharp knife to cut.
7. Chocolate Dipped Oreos
These guys are really simple to make. Just a little time and creativity and voila! Kids’ favorite, straight ahead! You’ll say the purpose of making red white & blue chocolate dipped oreos is to have a sweet treat for the young ones, but you’ll be surprised that it’ll become super popular with the adults too.
- White Melting Candy
- Red Melting Candy
- Blue Melting Candy
1. Melt the white candy by heating it in the microwave for half a minute.
2. Stir until it has melted.
3. Dip each cookie in the white chocolate.
4. Let it set for 15 minutes.
5. Melt the red candy heating it in the microwave for half a minute.
6. Dip each cookie to coat one end.
7. Let it set for 15 minutes.
8. Melt the blue candy heating it in the microwave for half a minute.
9. Dip each cookie to coat the other end.
10. Let it set for 15 minutes.